Monday, September 24, 2007

Clean-up..Shape-up...Fix-up!

It's not that I haven't been busy....I have decided to get some things done to and around the house....it's time (overdue). First, though....this was the chore yesterday...our friend Spenser asked for some of her favorite cookies....my chocolate chips. She is off to College now....so I sent them off to her today. We live in an older home, built in 1935, and there is always something that needs to be done. The picture below is me-unable-to-make-a-decision! It's been two years since I ripped the wall paper off...I finally bought samples of a few paints, put them on the wall and was able to decide on the khaki green (Ralph Lauren) that is closest to the lamp. My tastes are changing...and I think an idea to death.
We had all new windows put in a year ago....still haven't painted them (except one where I had to put an in-window air conditioner. It's time...10 big windows......

We also had to totally renovate the one full bathroom we have...a couple years ago. What a trick that was. I love the results...but a couple of the things the carpenter did left me wondering. I wanted a floor-to-ceiling cabinet...one item deep so I could see and easily reach things. I love the cabinet but the way he built it left the opening that you can see....more tedious finishing for me...it's time....
A number of years ago we had a bad leak in the small bedroom on the main floor....couldn't find the cause. So our friend (a builder) cut a hole in the ceiling to see if he could figure it out. Finally we concluded it was the bathroom vent on the roof. Sure enough....a $4.00 cap and no more problem...except the ceiling and wall pictured in the next two pictures. So we are finally going to rip all the wallboard and ceiling down and re-do the room...it's time....




Also when the bathroom was done they replaced the door and the moulding....but it wasn't quite wide enough to meet the wall paper...aaaggghhh!!! All these things we've been putting off...but retirement time is creeping up on us and we will sell and move....so we need to get busy.

One of the biggest problems with this old house is that they used cheap beaverboard (like cardboard) on the walls. It won't take any abuse, and cracks with settling, weather and dampness etc. Every corner has cracks like the one below....wallpaper doesn't cover it, it just rips the wallpaper. So we need to address that too.
So that is what I am up to at the moment...cleaning up the house, shaping up myself (weight watchers and walking) and fixing up all the things we've put off for so long.
And in three weeks I'm going to Colombus for Jan Myers-Newbury's class at the Crow Barn...so excited....so I'm packing for that.
Marcia







No comments: