Saturday, May 1, 2010

More Dyeing



These lovelies were dyed in a tray that I used to use for marbling, made by my brother who was a sheet metal worker. Thanks John!




I put some sun yellow dye in the tray...




And then some fire red...you can swish it around, tip the tray to mix or just leave it alone. Then I lay a piece of fabric (this is a fat-quarter tray) over the dye and move it, pat it, whatever I need to do to totally soak the piece.



Then I accordion it up and twist it so it will fit in my containers....




They sit out in the sun for a few hours and then I throw them all into a cold wash with synthrapol and then 3 or 4 hot washes...till the water runs clear. The result is the fabric in the first picture.




I put at least a few colors in each time, so there is nice color-play in the finished pieces. Mushing it up accordion-style makes for nice striations with the colors.




This is the finished (maybe) piece of stamped fabric that I showed in the last post.



I screened gold metallic over the larger designs...what a difference! I love it like this but I'm thinking it needs at least one more touch. Hmmm.








2 comments:

Karen S said...

Wow! I love all those pretty colors -- and the printed piece is just gorgeous. I never thought about using my marbling tray for dyeing -- I have an old refrigerator pan that I use sometimes, though!

Mary Keasler said...

Luscious! You are absolutely correct. I am now obsessed with dyeing. But I've got a long way to go to catch you. :)